Trouble building srilm project (macosx)

P McIlroy pmcilroy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:39:29 PST 2005

I joined this group in hopes of finding some help on the MacOS compile.

I'm getting a handful of uninstantiated templates in the out-of-the-box
compile on OS X 10.3.9, with compiler version:

gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)

The undefined functions are, in various executables:

FNgramCounts<unsigned int>::FNgramCounts(FactoredVocab&,
FNgramSpecs<unsigned int>&)
Map2<unsigned int, unsigned int, double>::clear()
NgramCounts<unsigned int>::NgramCounts(Vocab&, unsigned int)

I was able to 'fix' ngram-counts by adding

#include "NgramStats.cc"

to the main program.

The same fix does not work for ngram.cc.

Additional investigation shows that the instance file

NGramStatsInt.o

does not include an instantiation of the NGramCount constructor.

Other attempts like adding this to the main program:

static template NGramCounts<unsigned>;

lead to multiple definition errors in the linker.

Is there a known configuration or compiler option that works on OS X
10.3?  Or will upgrading to 10.4 fix the problems?

thanks,

Peter McIlroy

Begin forwarded message: