[SRILM User List] Predicting specified words

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 8 21:44:29 PST 2012

On 2/5/2012 8:14 PM, zeinab vakil wrote:
> Dear All
> hi,
> I newly getting to know SRILM and have a question.
> Is it possible to use SRILM to predict a word that starts with certain
> character. for example sentence is "i go to h...", and we want what
> word has highest probability P("i go to"|w) or even P("to"|w) and
> starts by 'h'.
> please guide me.
> Best Regards,
> zeinab vakil.
Boy, there seems to be a lot of interest lately in this sort of
prediction problem (see previous posts on this list).

No, there is no ready-made solution for this in SRILM. I would probably
try to build a mixed word/letter ngram LM, estimating probabilities
p(next-letter | word-2, word-3, letter-1, letter-2, letter-3, ...) .

Andreas