KN discounting and zeroton words

Tanel Alumäe tanel.alumae at aqris.com
Mon Jun 6 09:38:59 PDT 2005

A little correction: also with KN discounting, zeroton words get the
same unigram probability as words discounted to zero (using -gt1min).
What I don't understand, is why can this probability be higher than for
words that are not discounted to zero? E.g.

E.g. for a very little test set, and using '-gt1min 2', zeroton and
singleton words get a probability -0.7323937, but a word occurring twice
gets a probability -1.556303.

I believe this is some magic property of KN discounting, in which case I
apologize for polluting the list and go back to reading the description
of the algorithm.

Regards,
Tanel A.