LM missing back-off probabilities

Yannick Estève - LIUM yannick.esteve at lium.univ-lemans.fr
Wed May 25 13:57:50 PDT 2005

I hope this message can help you.

To use CMU Sphinx with LM estimated with SRILM you have to use two tools
provided with SRILM toolkit :

-add-dummy-bows:  this program adds the 'missing' back-off weights (in
fact, when these weights equal to 0 ngram-count doesn't print them)
-sort-lm: this program sorts n-grams in lexical order (lm3gdmp works
only if the n-grams are sorted. In fact, 2-3-...-k-grams have to be
sorted in the same order).

These two tools are programmed in awk (awk or gawk have to be installed
on your computer).

-- Yannick