about the ngram -hmm option

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Wed Mar 30 00:01:45 PST 2005

In message <BAY22-F15F2B1C4DDA07016D78AFAAB450 at phx.gbl>you wrote:
> Hey,
>
> just got a question in my mind, in the ngram command, it comes with an
> option -hmm, which needs to take a HMM file as input, so how can I create
> this file when I train the language model. or should I write some code
> myself to generate that.

You typically create the file by hand, thus SRILM comes with no
special tools for this.  However, if you are building a large HMM
structure it is best done by a program or script.

I hope you don't expect SRILM to include some kind of "mini HMM toolkit".
It doesn't.  ngram -hmm is meant for building simple models that
switch ngram distributions as they generate a sentence.

--Andreas