Factored LMs and interpolated models

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Thu May 6 11:33:20 PDT 2004

Hi,

you SHOULD be able to do this with

	ngram -factored -bayes 0 ...

followed by the usual options to specify mixtures of LMs.   This is because
the -factored option causes all LM components to be interpreted as factored
LMs, and this causes the standard interpolation mechanism to be wrapped
around them.

So, all you have to do is implement your standard word ngram and class
ngrams each separately as FLMs.   This is not quite what you asked for
but it should be equivalent.

This is the theory.  I don't think we ever tested this, so there might be
glitches.  But those could be fixed if necessary, the basic machinery is
there.

There might also be a different approach.  You could engineer the FLM
definition so that at the highest level you always back off.  Then you specify
interpolation as the backoff strategy, emulating word and class ngrams
as two parallel backoff paths.  I'm not sure this will work with the current
functionality, it's just an idea.  Katrin or Jeff should be able to tell you
if it's feasible.

--Andreas